Ruth Fallenbaum, Ph.D.
CA License PSY 9070
2100 Lakeshore Ave., Suite B
Oakland, CA 94606
- The Wright Institute, Berkeley, CA 1983 Ph.D., Social/Clinical Psychology
- California State College, Sonoma 1977 M.A., Counseling
- University of California, Berkeley 1971 A.B, Humanities
- Scripps College, Claremont, CA 1967-69
July 29, 1985, PSY 9070, Board of Medical Quality Assurance, State of California
Teaching & Supervising
- Access Institute, San Francisco, CA 2016 – 2018, Instructor
- East Bay Sanctuary Covenant, Berkeley 2015 – current, Evaluation Supervisor
- The Wright Institute, Berkeley, CA 1996 – current, Adjunct Faculty
- Alliant International University, San Francisco 2004-07, Adjunct Faculty
- City of Berkeley Mental Health 1989-98, Clinical Supervisor
- Institute for Labor & Mental Health Oakland, CA 12/82 – 7/83, Co-Director of Mental Health Training
- New College of California, San Francisco 9/87 – 4/88, Case conference leader
- Survivors International, San Francisco 10/95 – 2015, Psychologist Panel
- Institute for Labor & Mental Health, Oakland, CA 11/95 – 2008, Psychologist Panel
- Oak Knoll Naval Hospital Oakland, CA 11/91 – 4/96, Staff Psychologist
- Pacific Children’s Center Oakland, CA 9/87 – 4/88, Staff Psychologist
- Rockridge Health Plan, Mental Health Dept. Oakland and Albany, CA 7/83 – 8/87, Staff Psychologist
- East Bay Clinic for Psychotherapy Oakland, CA 7/82 – 7/83, Psychology Intern
- Ann Martin Children’s Center Piedmont, CA 7/80 – 6/81, Psychology Intern
- Berkeley Family, Youth & Children’s Center Berkeley, CA 7/80 – 6/81, Psychology Intern
- Jewish Home for the Aged, San Francisco 2/78 – 9/78, Intake Counselor
- March 29, 2021: “The Psychological Impact of Monuments,” Our World Heritage Initiative, Diversity and Genders, virtual.
- January 23, 2021: “Understanding the Psychological Effects of Racism: One White Therapist’s Attempts to Get it.” Michigan Psychoanalytic Society, virtual
- October 17, 2020: “The Psychological Effects of Police Brutality,” Association of Psychoanalysis, Culture, and Society.” virtual
- February 13, 2020: “Case Presentation,” American Psychoanalytic Association Meeting,” New York, NY.
- December 9, 2019: “The American Psychological Association, Torture, and Dissent,” Grand Rounds, Herrick Alta Bates Hospital, Berkeley, CA.
- April 6, 2019: “Racism, Fear, and Wishful Denial Among African Americans,” Division 39, Society for Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy meetings, Philadelphia, PA
- April 9, 2013: “Psychodynamic Therapy in an Unjust World” The Berkeley Psychotherapy Institute, Berkeley, CA.
- April 21, 2012: “Nostalgia Abuse,” Invited Panel, Psychoanalysis and Social Responsibility, Santa Fe, N.M.
- April 20, 2012: “Of Historical Moment,” Panel, Division of Psychoanalysis (39), A.P.A., Santa Fe, NM.
- May 15, 2009: “Psychology, Torture, and Collaboration: A Story of Protest,” Panel, American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry, San Francisco, CA
- February 22, 2003: “The Psychological Effects of Lay-offs,” Meeting of the California Federation of Teachers, Oakland, CA
- November 2, 2002: “Options for a Single-Payer Mental Health Care System,” Continuing Education program, Northern California Society for Psychology and Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalysis and Social Responsibility, San Francisco, CA
- April 28, 2001: “Kafka, Workers Compensation, and the Fifty-Minute Hour: A Psychoanalytic Approach to the Politics of the Injured Worker.” Division 39, A.P.A., Santa Fe, NM
- May 3, 1999: “Violence: Discussion of ‘Thoughts on Killing and Aggression: Evil from The Holocaust to the Consulting Room’ by Richard Almond.” San Francisco Psychoanalytic Institute Extension Division
- April 27, 1995: (with Zeese Papanikolas) “Spectacles of Desire: Shopping for Identity, Love and Kinship in the Age of Consumerism.” Division 39, A.P.A., Santa Monica, CA
- April 28, 1995: “Who’s Got a Secret? Examination of the Therapist’s Wish to Be Seen.” Division 39, A.P.A., Santa Monica, CA
- April 14, 1994: “The Family Goes to Court: A Panel on a Psychoanalytic View of Judicial-Psychological Intervention in Family Dissolution.” Division 39, A.P.A., Washington, D.C.
- “You Spoke: The Making of a Small Revolution,” in Psychologist/Psychoanalyst, Fall 2008, pp. 7-9.
- “Health Care: A Commodity or a Right?” in East Bay Psychologist, Summer 2006, Newsletter of Alameda County Psychological Association, p. 8.
- “Truth and Telling the Truth,” in Perspectives, publication of Chicago Center for Psychoanalysis, April 2003, pp. 3-4.
- “The Injured Worker,” in Studies in Gender and Sexuality,Vol. 4, No.1, 2003, The Analytic Press, Hillsdale, NJ, pp. 72-92.
- Northern California Society for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Past Secretary and Board Member of Section IX, Psychoanalysis and Social Action, Division 39, A.P.A.; current member of Section IX and Division 39 (Division of Psychoanalysis)
- Steering Committee member of Psychologists for an Ethical APA/ http://withholdapadues.com
- Past Co-Editor (with Ghislaine Boulanger) of The Psychoanalytic Activist, publication of Section IX.
- Section V, Applied Clinical Psychoanalysis, member.